About Me

My photo
LDS Missionary - Cali Colombia May 2013 - May 2015

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Story About Carlos.

Hey yalllll!
 
Hey! Hi, how ya doing? Hope you all had a good week! This week had some interesting highlights. I'll tell you about them, right after I tell you all I'm super excited to skype this Sunday! Whoop Whoop! Anyway, this weekend, on Saturday, we helped out with a service project for the homeless with our investigator Carlos. We got together three trash bags of clothing and a big box of food and went down to a Catholic rest home for homeless, and gave out clothes and food to people who need it. Carlos is excellent, and is starting a foundation to help drug addicts and homeless, and he is an expert in these two things... I'll tell you all why. When I first met Carlos, it was 4 months ago in Popayan when I was with Elder Silverio. One day Elder Silverio and I were walking by the river when a homeless man called out to us, "Are you missionaries from the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?" he shouted. We turned around to see a man with long hair, all dirty with a sack over his shoulder walking towards us. He stuck out his hand to shake mine, and I shook it intimidatedly. He introduced himself as Carlos, and we staring walking and talking about his life. After walking for about 5 minutes, he thanked me and told me that he had a nephew serving as a missionary for our church. He told me that he knew what he needed to do to change his life, and that nobody could help him but himself. He walked off down the road and I thought that I would never see him again. General Conference weekend here in Pasto, we received a reference from a member- a man who lived right in front of the church that went to the conference. When we rang the doorbell, a man answered, and his face looked awfully familiar. I said, "Do i know you?" and he said "Were you in Popayan about 3 months ago?" That's when I put it together. Carlos Gueuvara was standing right before my face, clean cut shaven and looking normal. He invited us in, and ever since then we have been teaching Carlos, and he is progressing greatly. Carlos has been a pastor from other churches, and is a writer and journalist. He was in the street 5 years prior to meeting me in Popayan, and has now overcome addiction and is working to help others. This weekend it was great to be able to help him in his work, and help out the homeless. I'll send some pictures of the activity. Sunday Sofia made it around to getting confirmed. Good stuff. Awesome girl. She loves singing hymns (even if she doesn't know the tune haha). Awesome to see her get confirmed. Anyway, we are headed this week to Cali for leadership training on Wednesday and Thursday. Long bus ride waiting for me again. Can't wait to talk to you all over skype on Sunday!. Love you all. Hope you have a good week. I'll send some pictures right now, too. It's been a while since I've sent some! LES AMO.

Elder Dean
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment