About Me

My photo
LDS Missionary - Cali Colombia May 2013 - May 2015

Monday, February 23, 2015

Lessons In Faith: Buenaventura

Hey home!
Como va todo? Bien bien? Ahh bueno. Hope you all had a good week. My week was full of travels, that's for sure. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday I was in a different area everyday in Cali. Saturday morning at 4am, Elder Walker and I traveled to Buenaventura, and were there all day, and slept there Saturday night. I've never sweat so much in my entire life, it was so humid. Buenaventura is super poor. The whole day I was crossing bridges just a long plank of wood over water - all trashy and dirty. Some of the houses are wood built on bamboo on the water, where the bathroom is a hole in the floor. The church is only about two and a half years old in Buenaventura. Sunday morning we traveled back to Cali and got off the bus and went straight to sacrament meeting. I was quite car sick. It was the twisty-est and turny-est road ever coming back over the mountain pass to Cali. Anyway, it has been quite the experience being with a different companonship everyday. So many new missionaries who just don't really know what to do. I feel like I've really had the opportunity to help quite a few missionaries out in all aspects of the mission work, and I hope to be able to keep up the energy and be able to be a blessing for the mission in these next few months. This week I had the opportunity to get to know a recent convert. The Elders took me to his house, and right away I could tell he was very special. When he opened the door I realized that he was blind. He invited us in and started to ask me questions about who I was and all about me. He was baptized 8 months ago. He told me with pride that he had memorized the sacrament prayer and that he had blessed the sacrament this past Sunday. We taught him the first Article of Faith, and after hearing the article one time, he repeated it perfectly. He has many gifts that make up for his lack of vision. When we knelt down to pray at the end of the lesson, he prayed for the bishop, the visiting teachers, the elders, the less active members, and to always be worthy of his priesthood, and prayed with such sincerity and faith. He knows the Book of Mormon is true, and that God exists, and is just as sure that the church is true as he was sure I was there, sitting in front of him. He couldn't see me, but he knew I was there. I learned a great lesson from him, and am very grateful for the lesson on faith I learned. Anyway, this week I will be in area tonight and tomorrow with Elder Walker, Wednesday in a conference, and Thursday, Friday,  and Saturday traveling again here in Cali and in a town called Villa Gorgona. Love you all. I hope you all have a good week. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts. Talk more next week.

Elder Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment